This article provides the information about the Check Point release policy and plan. This is a "plan of intent" and can change without prior notice.
Please contact your local Check Point representative with any questions you may have to information regarding this article.
There are different types of software releases:
- Major release: Introduces new functionalities and cutting edge innovative technologies to the market while maintaining high product quality. In the past few years Check Point has released 1-2 major releases per year. Some examples of major releases would be: R80, R77, R76, R75.40.
- Minor / Maintenance release: Maintenance releases on top of major releases. Minor releases include the latest fixes released to customers. In the past few years, Check Point has released 1-3 minor releases per year. Some examples of minor releases would be: R77.30, R77.20, R75.47.
- Jumbo Hotfix Accumulator is an accumulation of stability and quality fixes resolving multiple issues in different products. For more information, see sk98028.
- Special releases and Hotfixes: Specific for a particular feature or a fix to be installed where required, a solution article (SK) will be published in the Support Center with the relevant information and files for download.
- The current recommended release for all customers is R80.10.
- R80.10 was released on May 17, 2017 and it consolidates all previous releases.
- R77.30 was released on May 19, 2015. We recommend that customers who want to keep their R77.30 Security Gateways, upgrade their Security Management Server to R80.10.
- How do I know which versions are included in a new version?
How do I know which upgrade path are supported?
How do I know which Security Gateway versions can be managed by a new version?
All this information is available in the relevant Release Notes.
In addition, with every new release, we update the Releases map, Upgrade map and Backward Compatibility map.
For every minor release, Check Point will always make sure there will be a supported upgrade path for future releases.
- How do I know what are the recommended Hotfixes on top a release?
Starting in R75.46, you can find this information in the "Released hotfixes" section on every Release page. You can also view the release's Known Limitations page, which includes solution numbers for hotfixes released to customers.
- How do I know which fixes are integrated in a release?
With every release, we publish its Resolved Issues, containing the issue ID and issue description.
- How do I track changes in existing images?
Upon important hotfixes, Check Point may update the release images to automatically install the fixes. Starting in R77, these changes are documented in several places: "files revision" PDF, Release Notes update, a note under the download links and filenames changes.