This Sizing Guide refers to SmartEvent R77.x and older versions.
To find the suitable SmartEvent appliance, get the scale estimations for your environment by running the CPLogInvestigator Sizing Tool on the Log Server.
- Download the CPLogInvestigator.tgz and extract it to /var/log directory on SmartEvent Sever:
# gtar -zxvf CPLogInvestigator.tgz
# chmod 777 *
- Run CPLogInvestigator -h for usage instructions.
- Run the CPLogInvestigator tool with the required arguments:
# ./CPLogInvestigator -a -p > /var/log/CPLogInvestigator.txt
- Compare the output with the table below.
This is the supported scale for Smart-1 SmartEvent appliances:
- Enabling SmartReporter on the appliance reduces the supported scale by half.
- Read sk80720 for advanced tuning suggestions to maximize performance.
** The upper limit can be reached by extending RAM to 16GB:
- If Application Control and URL Filtering blades are activated - 20K users are supported.
- If Application Control and URL Filtering blades are not activated - 80K users are supported.
*** To evaluate the number of historic days to keep, divide the available storage by the estimated daily consumption reported by the Sizing Tool.
This scale requires SmartEvent version of:
- R75.45 + performance hotfix (see Installation Instructions below)
- Any version above R76
Note: SmartEvent can run with different versions than the Security Management server. Then SmartEvent server can be upgraded to one of the above versions without upgrading the Security Management server.
For SmartEvent NGSE Sizing Table refer to sk98767.
Performance improvement hotfix for R75.45 - Installation Instructions:
- Download and copy the SmartEvent R75.45 Performance Improvement Hotfix package to SmartEvent R75.45 server.
- Extract the hotfix:
gtar xzvf ReportingServer_HOTFIX_FOXX_HF_HA45_010.tgz
- Run cpstop
- Install the hotfix:
- Run cpstart
- This hotfix package is suitable for Gaia / SecurePlatform / Linux OS.
- It can be installed on both Check Point appliances and Open Servers.
- To download this package, you will need to have a Software Subscription or Active Support plan.