How to enable a Connectra Portal remote user to search for LDAP contacts in SquirrelMail
The purpose of this article is to enable Connectra Portal remote users to search for LDAP contacts in SquirrelMail.
By default, the contact search in Web Mail applications works only for internal users that are defined on the Connectra gateway. However, starting from Connectra NGX R66
, administrators can enable Connectra Portal remote users that use SquirrelMail, to search for contacts that are defined on an LDAP server. This is done by manually editing the SquirrelMail PHP file on Connectra and defining an LDAP array (an array of arrays). Each cell of the LDAP array represents an LDAP server that is used in your Connectra deployment. Each cell array defines an array of parameters that configures the relevant LDAP server. When a single LDAP server is used in your Connectra deployment, the LDAP array is a single cell array.
Microsoft Active Directory is not supported.
To allow a Connectra Portal remote user to search for LDAP contacts in SquirrelMail:
- Open the
$CVPNDIR/htdocs/Mail/config/config.php file for editing.
- In this file, find the line that reads '// Add your ldap server options here'.
The following LDAP array is shown under this line. This array contains an array of LDAP parameters (e.g, ?host') that configures LDAP server number :
$ldap_server = Array(
'host' => 'memberdir.netscape.com',
'name' => 'Netcenter Member Directory',
'base' => 'ou=member_directory,o=netcenter.com'
- Add an array of parameters that configures the relevant LDAP server parameters. Add the following mandatory parameters. You must use the exact syntax as shown in the original set of parameters in step (2):
- ?host' => LDAP server [hostname/IP-address]
- ?base' => LDAP server root (DN based)
Note: Empty string is allowed for this parameter.
- You may add the following optional parameters:
- ?port' => LDAP server TCP port number [default: 389]
- ?charset' => LDAP server charset [default: utf-8)]
- ?name' => Name for LDAP server that is used to tag the resulted data [default: "LDAP: hostname"]
- ?maxrows' => Maximum # of rows in search result
- ?timeout' => Timeout for LDAP operations in seconds [default: 30)
This parameter might not work for all LDAP libraries or servers.
- binddn => LDAP Bind DN
- bindpw => LDAP Bind Password
- protocol => LDAP Bind protocol
- When multiple LDAP servers are used, repeat steps (3) through (4) to define additional LDAP parameter arrays for each of the LDAP servers that you use for your Connectra deployment.
After completing this procedure, Connectra Portal remote user can search on LDAP contacts in SquirrelMail.
For further help use SquirrelMail official documentation found on the the SquirrelMail web site.
To search on LDAP contacts in SquirrelMail:
- Log in to the Connectra Portal.
- Click the link to access SquirrelMail.
The ?SquirrelMail account page' appears.
- Select ?Compose'.
The ?Compose Message' page is displayed in the mane pane.
- Click ?Addresses'.
The ?Address Book Search' page is displayed in the main pane.
- Enter a contact to search for in the ?Search for' free text box.
- Select ?All addresses' in the ?Search in' pick list.
- Click ?Search'.
The LDAP directory is searched according to the search string you entered and the relevant results appear on the ?Address Book Search' page.
This solution is about products that are no longer supported and it will not be updated