The compression of the Portable SmartConsole zip file included additional Zone metadata, which Windows might use to block the file access, based on the file being from an external source.
Example output from SysInternals Suite streams utility for a file extracted from the Portable SmartConsole R80.20.M1 Build 006 zip file:
D:\R8X Portable SmartConsole\R80.20.M1 B006\AbacusClientCppUtils.dll:
To use Portable SmartConsole client, the zip file must be unblocked. Only after this it can be extracted.
Unblocking one Portable SmartConsole file
This can be done in the file properties, where a block is indicated by the availability of the Unblock button:
- Right-click the zip file
- Click 'Unblock'
- Extract the zip file
- Launch the SmartConsole
Unblocking all of the Portable SmartConsole files
Or for unblocking all files, or removing of all streams and meta information, there are two (2) approaches possible, both work. First approach is using Microsoft Windows PowerShell from Windows Management Framework 3.0 and higher, and the second approach utilizes the Microsoft SysInternals Suite streams tool to clear the meta information streams from the files.
1. Using PowerShell approach
- Launch PowerShell (at least Windows Management Framework 3.0 or higher)
- Change Directory (CD) to the folder where the Portable SmartConsole was extracted/unzipped to (e.g. "C:\_D\SmartConsole R80.20.M1 B006 Portable")
- Execute the Unblock-File operation with the command "dir . -Recurse | Unblock-File"
dir . -Recurse | Unblock-File
2. Using Microsoft SysInternals Suite streams utility approach
- Download and place the Microsoft SystInternals streams utility in either a location that is accessible via the %PATH% from Windows CMD.exe or place it in the root of the Portable SmartConsole folder.
- Execute the streams command from the root of the Portable SmartConsole folder using the command sequence "streams -s -d ."
Portable SmartConsole R80.20.M1 Build 006 is in the folder D:\SmartConsole Portable\R80.20.M1 B006
>CD /D "D:\SmartConsole Portable\R80.20.M1 B006"
>streams -s -d .
This solution has been verified for the specific scenario, described by the combination of Product, Version and Symptoms. It may not work in other scenarios.