Table of Contents
What is Google Docs
Google Docs is an Office suite (Docs, Sheets and Slides) offered by Google within its Google Drive Service. The suite allows users to create and edit documents online.
Why do customers move to Google Docs?
- Accessibility - With Google Docs, employees can access their data 24/7 wherever they have an internet connection.
- Collaboration - Multiple users can access and edit the same document at the same time. It even allows users to see who else is in the document and making changes to it as they work. In addition, Google Docs allows to control who can make changes to the document.
- Low costs - Google Apps comes at flat low pricing per user per year
- Version Control & Data Backup
- Great Search Capabilities
Capsule Docs Support
- Google documents that were created in Google Apps or were converted to Google Docs native format (including text documents, spreadsheets, and presentations) are located on the web only. Although they can be synced to the local Google Drive folder they aren't actually files one can edit locally; they're just links. Double-clicking them will cause them to open through the Google Drive web app in a web browser*. Therefore Google Docs native format can't be protected on the local machine.
- Google Apps are compatible with Microsoft Office File formats. Thus one can download a file as an office document and apply the proper protection settings. Also, protected documents can be uploaded to Google drive, leveraging it synchronization and sharing benefits . Editing/Searching a protected file online is not supported.
- Automatic protection upon sharing files through Google drive is available. for more information please refer to: https://www.checkpoint.com/downloads/product-related/solution-brief/sb-adallom-checkpoint-v2.pdf
*The Google Chrome web browser can be setup to edit a Google document offline, but the functionality it provides is very limited.
Capsule Workspace Support
- Automatic protection upon sharing files through Google drive is coming soon. Estimated planned support Q4/2015.
- Upon sharing a supported file format, the user will get a message that asks him to protect the file.
- The protection will be done seamlessly:
- Gmail for Enterprise is not supported.
This solution has been verified for the specific scenario, described by the combination of Product, Version and Symptoms. It may not work in other scenarios.