Policy installation flow:
- Assuming the initiation was made by the SmartDashboard, as opposed to using command line options, such as
fwm load (on Management Server) or
fw fetch (on Security Gateway), the Web Service policy installation command is sent to the Check Point Management (CPM) on the Management Server, which then sends the command to the FWM process where the verification and compilation take place. (In case of failure, debug messages of cpm can be found in $MDS_FWDIR/log/install_policy.elg file.)
- FWM process is responsible for code generation and compilation.
- FWM process invokes the Check Point Policy Transfer Agent (CPTA) command that sends the policy to all applicable Security Gateways.
- CPD process on the Security Gateway receives the policy and verifies its integrity.
- FWD process on the Security Gateway updates all of the user-mode processes responsible for enforcement aspects. These include VPND process for VPN issues, FWSSD processes for Security Server issues, and so on. Once complete, the CPD process then initiates the update for Check Point kernel.
- The new policy is prepared, and the Check Point kernel holds the current traffic and starts queuing all incoming traffic.
- The Atomic Load takes place. This process should take a fraction of a second.
Note: During Atomic Load, SecureXL is disabled and re-enabled afterwards.
- The traffic queue is released, and all of the packets are handled by the new security policy.
When Policy Installation is initiated from SmartConsole:
- The cpmi policy installation command is sent to fwm on the Management server.
Clarification: The CPMI connection is internal to the Management Server, from CPM to FWM. The install command is sent to the CPM server via web service.
- fwm performs verification and conversion of the database information for the installation targets for which policy installation is requested.
- After conversion, fwm invokes fw_loader to perform code generation, compilation, transfer to all applicable gateways and commit.
- cpd on the Security Gateway listens for install policy connections and receives the files.
- cpd invokes fw_fetchlocal to load the new policy into the kernel.
- cpd waits for fw_fetchlocal to complete the process and then informs the Management server of the command's status (installation succeeded or failed).
To debug policy installation issues, refer to these solutions:
This solution has been verified for the specific scenario, described by the combination of Product, Version and Symptoms. It may not work in other scenarios.